gcc packaging bug [was: Re: can not exec cc1.exe]

Jim Marshall wrote:

> all of the mingw directories were still there. I manually deleted all
> the files  in these directories (/usr/i686-pc-mingw and
> /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32).  I then reran the cygwin setup and had it
> install the mingw tools. This fixed the problem. I am presuming that the
> setup was not actually erasing the mingw files from the HD (as evidenced
> by what I saw) so that was causing the problem in that when setup was
> not properly over-writing the existing files.

I'm glad it's now fixed.  But for the mingw-gcc-* packages, setup does
not actually create or delete any of those links, it is all done by
postinstall/preremove files.  If you take a look (see
/etc/{preremove,postinstall}/gcc-mingw*) you will see that the preremove
script only deletes the files contained in the manifest, and the
symlinks are not included there; and the postinstall only tries to
create the symlinks if they don't exist.  This could be considered a
slight packaging bug I suppose, since once created, those symlinks will
never be removed/recreated on reinstalls.

Brian