registry's role, or "must I install on client madhines"

I have cygwin installed on a Windows share.  I'm trying to use it
from another Windows client machine (on which it was never installed)
by simply running the bash executable using the UNC path
(//share/cygwin/bin/bash.exe -l -i).  This isn't working.

I've tried a number of variations like: where my current working
directory is (local or remote); starting bash in a local directory
and then starting in the remote directory; trying various CYGWIN
variables.  In all cases the resulting environment for bash has
a variety of problems, likely stemming from the fact that HOME
and PATH do not get set up.  No /etc/profile or .bashrc are processed.
'cd' works but only by using relative paths (../foo) but not
absolute paths (/foo).  I *can* see the filesystem (with "echo *" or
something like "../bin/ls").

I've also tried setting up the Windows client machine to map a
network drive so that the client machine has the same drive letter
and directory structure as the master machine (ie, G:/cygwin).  No joy.

I had wanted to avoid installing cygwin on all the client machines
but this is beginning to seem less possible.

The only other thing I can think of is that the registry is
being set up when you do an install and that these registry entries
are required when bash is invoked.

Are registry entries referenced when running bash?

Is it possible to setup cygwin so that it may be used from a share
without having been installed on the client machine?

Joe