Re: OCaml package hasn't updated for a while (Ping unison maintainer)

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > Wei-Hao Lin wrote:
> > > OCaml 3.10 is just released.  The Cygwin ocaml package generously
> > > contributed by Igor Pechtchanski in 2004, however, is still 3.08.1.
> > > Although OCaml can be compiled under Cygwin without any change,
> > > surely it will save some time if OCaml package is updated and made
> > > available via Cygwin distribution.
> >
> > Maintainers Thoughtfully Considered? :-)
>
> I don't mind maintaining the ocaml package, but I would like to ping
> again and see what the current maintainer, Igor Pechtchanski, thinks.

Sorry, I meant to reply to your original message, but got bogged down with
work...

I'm still maintaining O'Caml.  It builds OOTB, but lacks some interesting
(and important) features.  A few of the things I was playing with in my
spare time were trying to make O'Caml
1) support dynamic linking/loading on Cygwin (mostly done for 3.08);
2) allow -mno-cygwin like other Cygwin compilers (probably superfluous
now, but we may still want to try building a Cygwin->MinGW
cross-compiler); and
3) support multiple side-by-side versions (due to binary incompatibility).

I haven't had much chance to perfect the build, though (unison had
problems with it, and I needed to invest some heavy debugging time I
didn't have).  In the meantime, 3.09 and 3.10 came out.

One problem is that a major client of O'Caml is unison, and, because of
binary incompatibility, the releases of O'Caml need to be coordinated with
unison.  I've added a ping, and we'll see what Andrew says.  I'm not
familiar enough with O'Caml program dependencies to know whether I can
simply provide an older runtime DLL in a separate package or not.  There
was some discussion of this earlier -- perhaps I should dig in the
archives.

I'm also ok with transferring maintainership to someone more knowledgeable
in O'Caml, provided we can get the level of functionality I originally
intended (described above).  I can provide a patch for the 3.08 build
tree.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin