GCC 4.1.1

I'm trying to get gcc on Cygwin to the same version that I use on Linux
and Solaris (4.1.1).
There is no "need" for this, but it would be nice to have all platforms
I'm trying to support on the same version.

I was able to compile and install GCC 4.1.1 with a plain ./configure &&
make && make install but I can't use the -mno-cygwin option.  I'm
assuming this is because I need the corresponding mingw32 package for
4.1.1.
I went to the mingw web site and saw that gcc 3.5 was the latest
supported.

So am I stuck with gcc 3.4.5 if I want to be able to compile executables
for Windows that anybody (without a cygwin install) can run?

Sorry for all the noob questions.  I've used Cygwin for a long time
(mainly for command line ssh or XDMCP to my Linux machine) but I'm just
now starting to use it for development.

Thanks,
~Eric