RE: Problem after fresh Cygwin installation

On 16 July 2007 14:53, Bernd Bartmann wrote:

> On 7/15/07, Dave Korn <dave.korn@aaaaarrggg> wrote:

  Bernd, please abide by the list etiquette of not quoting people's email
addresses in the raw, as they end up on the web archive and get harvested by
spammers.  (See http://cygwin.com/acronyms#PCYMTNQREAIYR for justification).

>> On 13 July 2007 19:12, Bernd Bartmann wrote:
>>

>>> Now comes the weird part. I created a new file hello.c in my home dir
>>> with vim. ls -al shows that the file exists, but "more hello.c" gives
>>> no output at all. I just get a new shell prompt. The same problem
>>> exits when I run "gcc hello.c -o hello". Nothing happens, not even an
>>> error message is displayed and no file hello is created.
>>

>>   Could be a missing dll dependency.  Run
>>
>> cygcheck `which more`
>>
>> and see if any are listed as not found.
>
> Thanks Dave! cygcheck more reveals that more is available under
> /usr/bin/more, but cygintl-3.dll is missing. I'll try to download the
> whole Cygwin install directory tree from another mirror again and
> reinstall everything.

   STOP!!!!

  There should be no need to go that far.  If you just re-run setup.exe,
choosing "Install from internet"  and then clicking "Next" all the way through
without altering anything, it should just update your installation and, as
part of that, it will verify the installed packages and attempt to install
anything missing.  So hopefully it'll only download anything that failed last
time, or if it downloaded ok but the install step failed last time, it'll just
re-run the install step.

  It should be much easier than redownloading the whole thing.  If for any
reason it doesn't work, you could try manually selecting the "libintl3"
package on the package chooser page to "Reinstall".

    cheers,
      DaveK