[Parallels 3.0, MacOS 10.4.9] Cygwin install probs and how do I subscribe

First, how do I subscribe to the list? (I searched & searched but all I could find appeared to subscribe new lists to GMANE, not new subscribers to existing lists.)

Second: I'm installing Cygwin to try to install ATLAS; I'm working from Kevin Shappard's instructions @:

http://www.kevinsheppard.com/research/matlabatlas/matlab_atlas.aspx

I've already emailed him and he said he no longer supports ATLAS.

In his instructions, he states: "Make sure to add c:\cygwin\bin to the path and add the ntsec flag to the CYGWIN environment variable. These steps are discussed in the "Setting Up Cygwin" section of the cygwin user's guide <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html>." However, it is unclear to me whether he means Windows' Path (accessible through right-clicking on My Computer) or cygwin's "UNIX" PATH variable? Same question regarding ntsec and CYGWIN? (I found that the "Environment Variables" section of "Setting Up Cygwin" is also not clear on this. In particular, after doing what that document suggests - set CYGWIN=tty notitle glob at a DOS prompt - I see no CYGWIN variable added to my environment variables in either Windows or in the Cygwin bash shell.)

The other problem I'm having is that Mr. Sheppard states that after cygwin is installed and ATLAS downloaded and unpacked, it is built w/ make, but my cygwin installation does not appear to have come w/ make - am I supposed to download and build that separately?

Thanks!

DG
--
ERD/ORR/NOS/NOAA <http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/emergencyresponse/>