Compiling a Linux kernel using Cygwin

Hi all,

I have to compile a Linux kernel using Cygwin on Windows XP (I know, it's a very silly thing, but it does not depend on me, unfortunately...).

I already have a gcc cross-compile toolchain for my target (arm) installed on Windows.

I already installed gcc-core, gcc-g++, binutils, cpio, make, patch, tar, vim, gettext, libintl and libncurses on cygwin (do I need something else?).

Since I assume that I need symbolic links, I use an ext2 filesystem on a USB PenDrive, using the ext2fsd driver for Windows.

However, I'm receiving a lot of errors, everywhere.

Some of them:

1) Sometimes when compiling, I receive the error "cannot mv file A to B: invalid request code".

However, the system allows me to manually copy file A on B and then remove file A (which is almost the same thing, so I wonder why the mv command does not work).

2) I'm not able of doing a "make menuconfig" even using the host gcc.

The system does not find ncurses libraries. But I've installed them!

Does anybody know how to solve these problems ?

More general question: did anybody build succesfully a Linux kernel under cygwin?

Any hel and suggestion is very welcome.

Many thanks in advance,

Claudio