Re: mcshield.exe hangs update installation

Olumide wrote:
Hi -

I've got the version 1.5.23 of cygwin (downloaded from http://linux.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/download/cygwin ) and I'm trying to update my installation. The older setup executable (setup.exe) that I have recommends that I download a new version if I have trouble installing -- which happens to be the case. The installer stops running after a few seconds and appears to hang (no page faults), while mcshield.exe takes 100% of the CPU.

So I download the new setup.exe, and I try running it, but again mcshield.exe seizes the CPU :(

I've searched the net and found what looks like a workaround (here http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2000-04/msg00657.html) but I would like to know if there is a better solution.

The best solution would be to uninstall McAfee (I'm serious!)  But if you
don't want to do that, try disabling real-time scanning.  That should
help.  If it doesn't, I'd recommend speaking with your friendly anti-virus
software vendor. ;-)

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746