RE: How do I make scripts my PC executable

On 29 August 2007 17:59, zip184 wrote:

> I have some scripts I'd like to run without starting cygwin and typing in
> their paths.  Is there a way to make windows recognize that a file is a
> bash/python script and run them like as if I ran them in cygwin?  I'd like
> to just be able to doubleclick them in windows explorer.  Is this possible?
> (I'm using bash and python scripts)

  Windoze doesn't understand about shebangs (the #! line at the start of the
script), and bases all its decisions on the filename extension.  So, if you
name your scripts according to the pattern '*.sh', and make sure to chmod a+x
them, you can double-click in explorer.

  The first time you do that, windows will complain it doesn't know what to do
with a sh file, and offer you the choice of looking up on the web or selecting
from a list which program you want to open .sh files with; choose the
select-from-a-list option, when the list appears click the browse button, find
your way to cygwin\bin\bash.exe and select that.  Make sure "Always use this
program" is ticked, enter a nice descriptive name such as "Bash script" in the
description box, OK it and away you go!

    cheers,
      DaveK