RE: Cygwin Window closes immediately

On 10 September 2007 12:31, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) wrote:

> Erich Dollansky wrote on Monday, September 10, 2007 1:47 AM:
>> David FAY XX (SY/EPA) wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> click on the shortcut on the desktop but it immediately closes.
>>> Cygwin is installed in the following location: c:/cygwin. Any
>>> suggestions? I'm using Windows XP. Also in setup.log file in
>>> /var/log directory it says "Installation Complete" Are there other
>>> log files I could check to see what is going on?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> David
>> Hi,
>>
>> did you edit the batch file which starts cygwin?
>>
>> If not, do so.
>>
>> All you need to know is inside the batch file.
>>
>> Erich
>
> You might also try opening a cmd.exe window and run cygwin.bat there.
> You'll be able to see any error messages.

  The most likely cause of the problem would be a failure during installation
that left a DLL or EXE missing somewhere.  If you re-run setup.exe, telling it
to "Install from local package directory", and just clicking 'OK' all the way
through the various options, it should have a second go and tidy up anything
that got missed first time.

    cheers,
      DaveK