Re: Sorry Resend: Cygwin For Vista Setup Postinstall post-textmf.sh With Cygcheck.out

Larry & All:

    I installed the same Cygin SW release on my 2 GHZ single core
Win 2000 desk top machine and it completed the "Running" part of the
installation in a timely manor.

    Is there a reason that it would take (possible hours) to complete
on a new dual core 1.8 GHZ Laptop with Windows Vista? Maybe
a laptop performance issue? Ram? Disk?

    Also is there a simple and quick method for removing the defective
Cygin install? Currently I have a difficult time deleting the directories
because of file sharing issues. Please note the last time I did this I
had to stay up half the night.

    Also is there a easy way of patching a hung install in the
"Running" phase by running the install scripts by hand with a
master install script from the shell? What is the name and directory
path for the master install script?

Thanks for the help. As I noted the Cygin on my Windows 2K
machine works great.

Thomas Dineen

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

Thomas Dineen wrote:

Gentle People:

 I have found a bug actually a hang condition when I attempt to
run Setup for Cygwin on my Toshiba Satellite with MS Vista
with all current MS Windows updates installed.

 The hang occurs in the "Running" section of Setup on the file:
/etc/postinstall/post-texmf.sh

I believe the typical response to this in the past has been "Have you waited long enough?". As I recall, this particular post install does *allot* of work. You need to wait until it's finished (possibly hours?) Also, make sure you run 'setup.exe' as Administrator.