Re: Home directory

Gmain User wrote:
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
Gmane User wrote:
ACcording to http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.setup.html#faq.setup.home,
the cygwin home directory is determined by the checking the
following, in the order listed:

1. Windows HOME environment variable
2. /etc/passwd
3. HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH variables in the Windows environment
4. /

I recently got a new domain account, and the cygwin home directory
is a network drive, instead of c:/cygwin/home/UserName. I am
currently trying to research the causes, though I don't have access
to the machine in question at the moment. I assume that the path to
the home directory was embedded in /etc/passwd, which I created
using "mkpasswd -d". I am debating on manually changing this in
/etc/passwd back to c:/cygwin/home/UserName, since I might ssh into
the machine, in which case the network drive will likely not be
accessible. As well, working off a network drive by default makes
one more vulnerable to network problems. The only thing which might
make the network drive attractive is the limited space on the local
drive.

If I were make c:/cygwin/home/UserName my home directory, what is
the best way? Ssh only considers /etc/passwd, so it seems best to
manually set it there, though I'd have to manually fix it each time
I recreate it. It still seems to be the best way, but opinions are
welcome on "good practice".
Personally I'd:

$ mv /home /home.save
$ mount -bsf //<server>/<homeshare> /home
$ mv -rp /home.save/* /home

Adjust the output of /etc/passwd to use /home/$USER
That places all cygwin file trees for all user accounts (including administrators) onto my own domain network file space.
Yes, isn't it wonderful! ;-)

Now everybody can log into anybody's machine and feel right at home (pardon the pun). And people's desktops can actually be used at night to assist with nighttime processing like builds and the like - just like if you had a bunch of Linux or Unix boxes. Now imagine that!
I suspect that it isn't what I'm seeking to realize, though it is an interesting way
to migrate account file trees.
If you are that concerned about eveybodys home directory being mounted do this instead:

$ mv /home/$USER /home/$USER.save
$ mount -bsf //<server>/<myhomeshare> /home/$USER
$ mv -p /home/$USER/save/* /home/$USER
My coreutils 6.7-2 doesn't have a "-r" option for the "mv" command. I haven't been able to find release notes for the currrent coreutils 6.9-5 to see if it is simply a new switch. Is there somewhere online where the release notes can be perused so that I can avoid updating cygwin right away? I usually find that an update is followed by a period of anomalous behaviour.
Oops! I got confused/conflicted between mv and cp. Please excuse me.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Adults are just kids who owe money.