Problem with -i ignore-file option in version 6.9 ptx in cygwin environment

The message below generated an email thread amongst the gnu folks, the last of which suggested I post the problem to this list.  I'm just now doing that in hopes this problem can be resolved.  Below this original message is a copy of what I judge to be the most pertinent email from the resulting discussion.

----- Forwarded Message ----

From: Graig <graigm@sbcglobal.net>

To: bug-coreutils@gnu.org

Sent: Wednesday, September 5, 2007 10:45:41 AM

Subject: Problem with -i ignore-file option in version 6.9 ptx in cygwin environment

Hi -

I've found that the only way that ptx will correctly use the contents of the ignore-file is if that file is formatted in the Unix style with just an octal 012 (LF) between lines.  If it is formated in the DOS style with octal 015 (CR) and 012 (LF) between lines, the results are as though the ignore-file wasn't specified at all.

Attached is a small zip file that demonstrates the problem.  The contents are:

SplForPtx.txt     - sample input for the ptx command

ptx_ignore.w.txt  - an ignore-file formatted in  dos  mode

ptx_ignore.u.txt  - an ignore-file formatted in unix mode

MakeSplPtx.bat    - a script that will create output using the two different

                      ignore files

ShopTips.w.ptx    - output when using the dos formatted ignore-file

ShopTips.u.ptx    - output when using the unix formatted ignore-file

Graig McHendrie

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to John Cowan on 9/5/2007 8:25 PM:

> In this particular case, the subject line shows that the port in

> question is Cygwin, but this is not a Cygwin-specific issue.

I maintain the cygwin port of coreutils.  Cygwin's philosophy is a bit

different from some of the other ports to windows: when  using binary

mounts, cygwin's goal is to behave like Linux.  Since ptx on Linux has the

same behavior in treating \r literally, that is why I have made no effort

for cygwin to behave any differently when you are using a cygwin binary

mount.  Put another way, the fact that you use a binary mount on cygwin is

an agreement on your part to use files that are binary-compatible with

Linux (ie no \r line endings), and tools like d2u should be used to

convert problem files on a cygwin binary mount.  On the other hand, you

can use a cygwin text mount, which will ignore the \r with no

recompilation required.  If you disagree with the cygwin philosophy, or

with the particular implementation of that philosophy as embodied by ptx,

you are better off raising the issue on the cygwin mailing lists rather

than here.

>  The Windows

> line-ending convention is now all  over the place.  With file services

> like NFS, AFS, and CIFS, it's not uncommon for non-MS systems to have to

> process MS text files (and indeed vice versa; many though not all native

> MS text tools now cope with Unix-style line endings).  Line-ending bugs

> ought not to be rejected out of hand any more.

This argument, on the other hand, is appropriate to bring up here, as you

are claiming that ptx's behavior should be able to (optionally) ignore \r

on all platforms.  In which case, Jim's proposed patch of adding O_TEXT is

inappropriate on two counts - it will not affect Linux (while you argued

that Linux should also have a way to ignore \r), and it will make the

default behavior of a cygwin binary mount diverge from behavior of Linux

(which goes counter to cygwin's goal of behaving like Linux when used on

binary mounts).

- --

Don't work too hard,  make some time for fun as well!

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net