fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

Hi,

While trying to install matplotlib using easy_install for python (see
output below) I ran into the 'fork: Resource temporarily unavailable'
problem.  I've been searching for a few hours now on the web.. no
luck.  I've searched the mailing lists:

http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=fork+temporarily+unavailable&cmd=Search%21&form=extended&m=all&ps=10&fmt=long&wm=wrd&sp=1&sy=1&wf=2221&type=&GroupBySite=no&ul=%2Fml%2Fcygwin%2F%25

leading me to this:

Here is the current value of my
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session
Manager\SubSystems key:

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows
SharedSection=2048,6144,4096 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows
ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off
MaxRequestThreads=32

The values for SharedSection have all been increased to values above
the defaults as described in the post above.. no effect.

I also found a few other posts which suggested turning off services
and such and I've turned off everything I could (virus scanners, chat
clients, etc...) with msconfig to no effect.  Not sure how to proceed.
 I'm thinking of trying a cygwin snapshot... or backing off to a
previous version of cygwin..

Will this help? What was the first version of cygwin where this
problem popped up?

The output from

$ cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out

is attached.

jegdemir@BOSD10JEGDEMIR ~
$ easy_install matplotlib
Searching for matplotlib
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/matplotlib/
Reading http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net
Reading http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80706&package_id=82474
Reading http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80706
Best match: matplotlib 0.90.1
Downloading http://downloads.sourceforge.net/matplotlib/matplotlib-0.90.1.tar.gz?modtime=1180792804&big_mirror=0
Processing matplotlib-0.90.1.tar.gz
Running matplotlib-0.90.1/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir
/cygdrive/c/TEMP/easy_install-SLOwgd/matplotlib-0.90.1/egg-dist-tmp-dtTjsQ
building for GTK requires pygtk; you must be able to "import gtk" in
your build/install environment
warning: no files found matching 'MANIFEST'
warning: no files found matching 'matplotlibrc'
warning: no files found matching 'lib/matplotlib/toolkits'
no previously-included directories found matching 'examples/_tmp_*'
Unable to free colormap, palette is still selected.
gcc: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
Exception exceptions.OSError: (2, 'No such file or directory',
'src/_ns_cntr.c') in <bound method CleanUpFile.__del__ of
<setupext.CleanUpFile instance at 0x7fab96cc>> ignored
Exception exceptions.OSError: (2, 'No such file or directory',
'src/_ns_backend_agg.cpp') in <bound method CleanUpFile.__del__ of
<setupext.CleanUpFile instance at 0x7fb0766c>> ignored
Exception exceptions.OSError: (2, 'No such file or directory',
'src/_ns_nxutils.c') in <bound method CleanUpFile.__del__ of
<setupext.CleanUpFile instance at 0x7fab98cc>> ignored
Exception exceptions.OSError: (2, 'No such file or directory',
'src/_ns_image.cpp') in <bound method CleanUpFile.__del__ of
<setupext.CleanUpFile instance at 0x7fab94cc>> ignored
Exception exceptions.OSError: (2, 'No such file or directory',
'src/_ns_transforms.cpp') in <bound method CleanUpFile.__del__ of
<setupext.CleanUpFile instance at 0x7fae58ec>> ignored

--
-jamil

Jamil Egdemir
unclejamil@gmail.com