Installation corrupt...

I just downloaded/installed the latest cygwin (1.5.24-2) using cygwin.elite-systems.org, into a Vista Home Premium system (I know - ugh!)

I added a few packages to the default (such as vim, ImageMagick), but didn't think it was much; I removed ash..?

Anyway, the installed completed without complaints in a reasonable amount of time (none of the delay/hang problems reported on the list).

Almost nothing works when I start the Cygwin bash shell -- help, cd, pwd for example work, but not much else:

bash-3.2$ ls *
bash: ls: command not found
???

[carol@EDP19 /etc]$man -k ls bash: man: command not found
???

[carol@EDP19 /etc]$cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out bash: cygcheck: command not found
So I was unable to get the cygcheck output that is requested for this list

[carol@EDP19 /etc]$echo $PATH
/cygdrive/c/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/Windows/system32:/cygdrive/c/Windows:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Common Files/Roxio Shared/DLLShared/:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Common Files/Roxio Shared/DLLShared/:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Common Files/Roxio Shared/9.0/DLLShared/:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/QuickTime/QTSystem/
The PATH option looks very strange... no /usr entries...

Viewing the setup log shows that all the post-install tasks ended with an abnormal exit code:
exit code=126 or exit code=127

My login user is an Administrator

/Users/carol isn't visible in bash, but it's there when I use cmd.exe from DOS.

I tried running setup again, but this made no changes.... also re-ran it from the local directory (as suggested in one of the posts) and no change...

Any pointers? I've got cygwin up and running on two WinXP machines and it works just great!

Thanks...jon