RE: Request for information on the __INSIDE_CYGWIN__ #define

On 15 November 2007 08:38, Sean Seefried wrote:
> My question centers around the __INSIDE_CYGWIN__ #define.
> However, try as I might, I simply cannot find a single place where it
> is defined.
> a) How does this symbol get #defined?
It is defined when building the cygwin dll from source, and the definitions it protects should only be used by the cygwin1 dll; they will not make sense in the cygwin posix environment itself. cheers, DaveK -- Can't think of a witty .sigline today....

Thanks Dave for that timely reply, but I'm still confused. Here is a snippet from one of the header files: cygwin/config.h
#if defined(__INSIDE_CYGWIN__) || defined(_COMPILING_NEWLIB)
#define __IMPORT
#else
#define __IMPORT __declspec(dllimport)
#endif

The expression "__declspec(dllimport)" is a Microsoft extension and this is included precisely when __INSIDE_CYGWIN__ is *not* defined. Since I assume Cygwin is built using Visual C++ and __declspec(dllimport) is only accepted by this compiler I assume you have to have it undefined when compiling. Or is there something fundamental I'm missing here?
If I'm right (and I know I'm probably wrong) then __INSIDE_CYGWIN__ would have to be defined when compiling things with gcc. Where is it defined though?
Also, I'm not subscribed to this list. Do you think you could CC me when you reply?
Cheers,
Sean