Re: [Fwd: sshd display]

> On Nov 21, 2007 3:58 PM, Robert Kiesling <kiesling@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > [ Charset UTF-8 unsupported, converting... ]
> > >
> > > I think you're missing my point.  If there's an answer to this question
> > > in the Linux->Linux case (or on any other UNIXy platforms that don't include
> > > Cygwin) then that same approach should work on Cygwin.  If it doesn't, then
> > > that's a Cygwin issue and on-topic.  If it does work, then that's the answer
> > > to the question and Cygwin has no bearing, thus the original inquiry is
> > > off-topic.

> > > Since 'ssh' is a client program on the client machine that's logging in
> > > remotely to the server machine, there's nothing visible on the server.
> > > Output goes to the client terminal.  There's no visible mechanism on the
> > > server for this output to "stay" on.  There may be other ways to achieve
> > > something that would be a reasonable alternative in this case but that
> > > would presuppose that we understand what actual problem the OP was trying
> > > to solve.  That's why I suggested he provide more info if he has a Cygwin-
> > > specific issue.
> >
> > An off-topic answer would be xon(1).
>

> You're both missing the point.  Throwing in your two cents without
> providing any help is just as bad, if not worse, than someone who's
> asking a *possibly* off-topic question, which, since this involves
> cygwin, is not likely.  If such a marginally off-topic message on this
> incredibly high volume mailing list bothers you, there's a "delete"
> button in your email client.
>

> To help the OP:
> An ssh connection typically does not create any sort of console window
> on the system that is being connected to (this is the same on Linux or
> Windows/Cygwin).  Depending on your needs, you may be able to emulate
> something like this using 'screen'.
>
> You can open screen in the local terminal (rxvt is recommended), and
> start a screen session inside of it.  Then when you ssh in, you can
> attach to that screen session using "screen -x" and both parties will
> be able to see what's going on.  There's a little more to it than
> that, and will probably need some experimentation, but that's
> something that can get you started.

I consider myself scolded.  I probably shouldn't try to go any further
without actually trying to do accomplish it.  But here goes.... The
OP could simply replace the remote shell with the app that is to do
the display (which in the case you suggested would be something like
"bash -c screen...."), and let screen virtualize the connection.
Warning - technically OT again, I know, like all Cygwin/X topics here:
Also connecting Unix-Unix or Unix-Cygwin with SSL requires accepting
connections via the X server, which in the case of Cygwin can be coaxed
into accepting connections via SSL, and then the app would have some degree
of compatibility cross-platform.  Then the remote command might be something
like "xterm -e screen...."  I don't see much point in arguing about etiquette
(Where is the cygwin-etiquette list, anyway?), but the vagueness of the original
posting causes me to suggest that there is no, "one way," to go about
accomplishing this task.  (You didn't get the Window client-server thing backward,
did you?).  Anyway, this remote display implementating would require a lot of
RTFM'ing.

HTH

--
Ctalk Home Page: http://ctalk-lang.sourceforge.net