cygwin and squid - RLIMIT_NOFILE

$squid

a)squid does not bind to a port
b)ps shows it sits around for a while, then goes. maybe creating 2
instances.

$squid -N

it gives this error.. and terminates, does not do funny business with
duplicate processes. but does not run at all
better with the -N though, it displays an error and fails, instead of
just failing.

$ squid -N
FATAL: setrlimit: RLIMIT_NOFILE: (24) Too many open files
Squid Cache (Version 2.4.STABLE7): Terminated abnormally.
CPU Usage: 0.040 seconds = 0.010 user + 0.030 sys
Maximum Resident Size: 201728 KB
Page faults with physical i/o: 788
      8 [sig] squid 3964 C:\cygwin\bin\squid.exe: *** fatal error -
called with
threadlist_ix -1
Hangup

This is a classic error described a few times on the mailing list.

I have tried some different solutions offered, but no solution worked..
-  the hex edit
- the autoconf.h edit

I would try the autoconf.h edit again, but cannot find where to
download the cygwin squid source.  I tried it once, but reinstalled
cygwin, and do not know where I got the source.   The source that
cygwin can install with squid, does not configure, I get

Currentuser@minitough ~/squid-2.4.STABLE7
$ ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... Invalid configuration `i686-pc-cygwin':
system `cyg
win' not recognized

And regarding the hex edit.  When I do that  (verifying the size of
squid and squid.exe are the same, so the edit went fine)

note-  /bin is same directory or place as /usr/bin

I get this error

$ squid -N
      9 [sig] squid 2344 C:\cygwin\bin\squid.exe: *** fatal error -
called with
threadlist_ix -1
Hangup

So..