Re: Wish Setup would accept my Perl

2007/11/7, Brian Mathis <brian.mathis@gmail.com>:
> On Nov 7, 2007 10:44 AM, Andrew DeFaria <Andrew@defaria.com> wrote:
> > DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
> > > I once, like you, wondered why I couldn't just have one installation
> > > of Perl or Python that works in either environment. Since I write
> > > scripts, not code,
> >
> > An aside? How is a Perl script not Perl code?!? Just wondering...
> >
> > > I assumed it was because it was just too hard to do and began to use
> > > each program in its appropriate place.
> >
> > Hmmm... I'm curious. As you said you have both AS Perl and Cygwin's
> > Perl. Now you say use each one where it is appropriate. I can't think of
> > a reason why using one or the other is more appropriate than the other.
> > As you state below regarding PPM, AS Perl is obviously Windows centric
> > and Cygwin's Perl is admittedly Posix centric. Being as I don't see many
> > Unix/Linux Perls with a Window's centric viewpoint I would think that
> > sticking with Posix through and through (including CPAN rather than the
> > uniquely AS PPM) would provide the best shot at being the most portable
> > out of the gate!
>
> How about if you are writing a Windows application?  What if you need
> to manipulate the Registry or access Win32::OLE objects?  You
> certainly need AS Perl for that.  It's not hard to imagine why you'd
> need a Windows-centric version.

Win32::OLE COM objects, Registry access, Win32:GUI and all of
libwin32 works fine on cygwin perl. With cygwin perl you have the best
of both worlds.
Well, with the current perl release there is a problem with the latest
libwin32, which needs a perl update which does not work yet good enough, but
with the prev libwin32 everything should work which works on AS perl also.

The only thing which doesn't work on cygwin perl are some closed
source binary-only MSVC modules (2 or 3 three),
and the Win32::API module with gcc callbacks.

This compared to the thousands of cpan modules which DO NOT work with
ActiveState perl is a nice advantage of cygwin perl.

Only if I have to distribute single file exe's I prefer AS perl with
perl2exe or par.

--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/              http://murbreak.at/