Re: Need help with Perl/Tk

Sisyphus wrote:
Can't load '/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/Tk/Tk.dll' for module Tk:
No such file or directory at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/cygwin/DynaLoader.pm line 230.

However /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/Tk/Tk.dll is in fact there:
Yes ... but note that the error message doesn't actually say that '/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/Tk/Tk.dll' could not be found. In fact, it says that '/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/Tk/Tk.dll' could not be *loaded* ... which implies that '/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/Tk/Tk.dll' *was* found .... but ... ummm ... couldn't be *loaded*.

Why couldn't it be loaded ? Perhaps because it tried to load a file (usually, in my experience, a dll) that couldn't be found at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/cygwin/DynaLoader.pm line 230.

(When it comes to DynaLoader you gotta learn to read the fine print and make intuitive leaps :-)
Yes but it did indeed state "No such file or directory...". Would it be that hard for DynaLoader.pm to mention exactly which file it was looking for?
However when I asked in that thread "Is it correct that Cygwin Perl/Tk requires a running X server?" I got:

That is one of the stranger assertions to pass by here in a while.
I must confess that my reaction would have been pretty much the same. On native Win32, Tk simply "works" ... and no X Server.
I was the one who stated that you need a running X server precise because I'd been through this exercise before. It's not really that difficult to understand. There is no Tk on native Win32. There may be one that was installed when you installed ActiveState. There is none when you install Cygwin. You can install Cygwin's Perl/Tk but then you'll get one that is designed to work with an X server - just like it would have been designed to work with an X server before it was ported say on a Linux box. It's not much different than say xterm, which is also designed to work with an X server. Rxvt, OTOH, can work with an X server or just regular win32 graphical elements but that's the exception to the rule.

I'll say it again, it would be wonderful if Perl/Tk would work with regular win32 graphical elements but nobody has bothered to develop that.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Why do toasters always have a setting that burns the toast to a horrible crisp no one would eat?