Re: ftp hangs

mks wrote:
> > Here is a simple way to reproduce the problem:
> >
> > $ ftp -A mirror.rhsmith.umd.edu
> > Anonymous login succeeded for cw@cw
> >
> > After this the ftp hangs forever.
>
> Windows' ftp.exe shows this behaviour when called from a Cygwin shell
> because it lacks knowledge of Cygwin's way of I/O.
> Make sure that you use Cygwin's ftp.
>
> What does
> which ftp
> show?
>
> Regards
>   mks

Thank you very much. Problem solved. I did know that I was using the Windows' ftp, but I did not know about this I/O issue. I installed inetutils and ftp works fine from Cygwin now.

Would anybody on this list have equally simple solution to my problem with xauth (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2007-12/msg00055.html)? Below please find a simple way to reproduce the problem:
$ xauth -v -f authfile generate :0 . untrusted timeout 1200

xauth:  creating new authority file authfile

Using authority file authfile

authorization id is 66

Writing authority file authfile

xauth:  unable to link authority file authfile, use authfile-nI have two roughly similar XP+Cygwin installations and one of them has this problem and the other one does not.

Thank you very much.

CW