RE: "tar --one-file-system" accesses remote file systems

> From: Larry Hall (Cygwin)
>
> Matt Seitz (matseitz) wrote:

> (http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/1998-09/msg00839.html).
> >
> > Ah, yes, the mounted CIFS share is reported as a FAT file
> > system*.
>
> That's it I expect.  Going straight to the code, in
> fhandler_disk_file.cc, here's some code from
> fhandler_base::fstat_helper():
>
>    /* Enforce namehash as inode number on untrusted file systems. */
>    if (pc.isgood_inode (nFileIndex))
>      buf->st_ino = (__ino64_t) nFileIndex;
>    else
>      buf->st_ino = get_namehash ();
>
> One of the things that isgood_inode() checks for is that it's
> not a FAT drive.  In case it is, you end up with a faked hash inode.

Thanks for the diagnosis.  I'm curious about something.  The message I reference above also mentioned an issue with "st_dev".  It seems to imply that correcting the "st_dev" to use the volume serial number could resolve this issue.  What is your opinion on that theory?

--
Matt Seitz
Manager, File System Virtualization