Re: Success in accessing network shares on windows through sshd

Jani Saksa wrote:
Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 12:41:26PM +0200, Jani Saksa wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Jani Saksa wrote:
If I understand correctly you can't normally see or access mapped network drives on windows when remotely logged through cygwin sshd, but I found a way and I have a couple questions:
Have you seen and read through this?
<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.shares>
Seems that I've missed that... So there is no easy way to use non-public share, except with 'net use' command, but is there any work-in-progress around this issue at the moment?`(personally I would gladly participate, but I know too little about windows programming and cygwins internals to actually be helpfull ;) ).

Is anyone rewriting Windows to make it work better with Cygwin's ssh?

No, not that I'm aware of.

Ah, of course not... I don't understand the technical side of this fully (but I've tried as well as I can) but it seems to me that if I can get access to mapped drive through ssh even though it's be reattaching a screen session originally started locally from the desktop where the drive was also mapped from then there should be some other ways to hack around the problem too... I don't know how, but would it not seem to be in someway possible to write cygwin and/or sshd to work so that the user who logs in through sshd would have the same rights to mapped drive that he does get when attaching a session running inside the screen?

Currently, the way to get what you want is to ssh in with password authentication. That way, Windows knows who you are and that you are allowed access to network shares. When you ssh in with pubkey authentication, you are not authenticated through Windows but rather the user running the sshd service. So you don't have access to your mapped network drives (automatically) since Windows doesn't recognize you as you. The fact that you can have a screen session that was started locally (as you) on that remote machine and then reconnect to that session when you log in with pubkey ssh in no way means that ssh now understands you as you. It just means you've connected up to a local instance of screen started by a fully authenticated session. This is doing nothing more than ssh with password authentication but with added user hassle, since they need to be co-located with the remote machine so that they can start up an authenticated screen session to leverage from their ssh (pubkey or not) session. I don't see that as a better option than just sshing in with password authentication and skipping all the extra effort of creating a local session of screen first.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746