Re: Libtool problems when building ImageMagick

Volker Quetschke wrote:

> The problem in libtool (line 845 and others) is that instead of
> echo, $echo is used. So the env. var echo is supposed to be set, but
> it didn't happen. Why? I know nearly nothing about libtool, so far
> it just worked.

I don't think it's a problem with echo per se, it's a mismatch of
libtool versions.  ImageMagick seems to ship with a bleeding edge
version of libtool bundled in m4/.  However when cygautoreconf runs
autoreconf (which in turn runs libtoolize --copy --force --ltdl) the
libtoolize from the current Cygwin package (1.5.25a-1) is what is run
and it seems to update only the config/ltmain.sh, in essence downgrading
it but leaving the bleeding edge version of m4/libtool.m4 untouched.  So
you end up with a ltmain.sh from 1.5 and a libtool.m4 from 2.3a, and
they disagree on things like how to do handle echo apparently.

Anyway, since this bundled libtool looks like it's very recent it
doesn't make sense to try to forcibly autoreconf it to something older,
as cygautoreconf seems to want to run autoreconf --force.  Normally
autoreconf would only run libtoolize if it looks like something needs
updating.  So I guess what I'm saying is just remove cygautoreconf from
your cygport, or if it's needed for some reason, don't run --force.

Brian