Re: A small suggestion to setup.exe of cygwin

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> >  wrote:
> > >
> > > But what I suggested on the other hand is the same as Michael's idea.
> > > I would like to see if cygwin's setup.exe could somehow "import" an
> > > install.db file and perform setup automatically to copy a cygwin
> > > environment with all of your preferred packages.
> >
> > Putting "/etc/setup/installed.db" in place before running 'setup.exe'
> > should make it think all those packages are installed.
> > [snip]
> > This does presuppose that you
> > have a local package directory with all the packages/versions you
> > want and that you've told 'setup.exe' to install from that local
> > package directory.
>
> Why is that? If I'm set up to install from the Internet wouldn't
> reinstall all go there? I've never kept a local package directory...

Because the versions you had on your old machine may no longer be
available on Cygwin mirrors.

If you want to replicate the packages, but not the versions, installing
from the Internet is fine (again, change all versions to 0.0 if you want
that, to make sure setup picks up the packages).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor.  That is the whole
Torah; the rest is commentary.  Go and study it." -- Rabbi Hillel