environment variables and ssh logins

I have several environment variables defined in the Windows Control
Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> System
Variables list on my Windows XP box.  If I run a Cygwin bash login
shell locally on this machine, I can find all those environment
variables in the output of the env command.  However, if I ssh to
the same machine, several of those environment variables are missing
from my environment.

For example, PATH is in both environments and is the same except for
the extra :/bin component in the ssh version, and "CYGWIN=ntsec" is
in both.  However, PYTHONPATH is in the local environment but not in
the ssh environment.

Why are some but not all the environment variables defined in the
System dialog inherited by ssh logins?

Thanks,
Gary