Re: Cygwin Mail and Exchange Server

Dave Korn <dave.korn <at> artimi.com> writes:

> > at a customer's site, I would like to be able to send email from
> > bash scripts. The setup of the software is pretty standard: Usually
> > mail is sent and read using Outlook, and there is an Exchange server
> > lurking somewhere to do the job. What do I have to do in such an
> > environment in order to be able to send mail from cygwin?
>
>   You need to ask your admins for POP and SMTP access details of your
> exchangeserver,

I guess in my case (sending only) I just need SMTP. Or is it necessary
that ssmtp.conf always contains POP too? And, AFIK, the access method
to the exchange server is not POP, but IMAP...

> then you'd probably enter those details into your
> /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf (or equivalent depending what mailer you're using).

Is there a simpler command line utility for sending mail - I mean,
simpler than ssmtp -, which you could recommend?

> > I thought this is such a common setup that there must be somewhere a
> > "howto" for this subject, but I searched the Cygwin FAQ, the Cygwin
> > User Guide, and /usr/doc/cygwin without success. Isn't there a Cygwin
> > utility which simply uses the settings in Outlook to send the mail?
>
>   Nope.  It's not like Microsoft have documented how any of that stuff is
> stored, after all.
> And since Cygwin is mostly ports of Linux stuff, and
> Linux doesn't have any such things as outlook or exchange server, none of
> the linux software that gets ported is written to even consider it.

Understandable...

Thanks a lot,

Ronald Fischer