Re: Launch a windows application from crontab

Ciro wrote:
Hi all,

I've created a script, wich ends with the following line:

notepad <PATH>/test.txt

I've run the script and it works fine, the notepad opens the file and waits
for me to close the window to exit. But when I run it from cron it doesn't
work, can someone give me a hand on this?

Looking at '/var/log/cron.log' and the event log can be helpful in these situations.

You should check the following:

  1. Does the environment that 'cron' runs in have '/windows/system32' in
     it?  Probably it does but it's always good practice to fully-qualify
     utilities used by services rather than assuming things will be set up
     in the environment the way you need them.

  2. Services don't have access to the desktop by default.  You have to
     ask for it.  On OS < Vista, you can specify '-i' to cygrunsrv when
     it installs 'cron' (with '/usr/bin/cron-config') or you can go to
     the "Services" applet under the "Adminstative Tools" in the "Control
     Panel" to find the "Cron daemon" and change this.  Double-click on
     it and go to the "Log On" tab.  Check "Allow service to interact with
     desktop".  On Vista and above, complain to MS. ;-)

(2) is the likely resolution to your problem.

Holliston, MA 01746