Re: cygwin1.dll incluson in Cygwin makefile

Christopher:

Thanks for the very prompt reply. I tried both and they worked as expected. I was expecting the opening quote to match to the closing just like I had issued it in dos in a cmd window (where cmd /c dir "c:\" works as expected). Regardless, thanks for straightening me out on this.

I thought I checked /cygdrive and found them empty (though mount said otherwise). Given how long it took the "ls /cygdrive" to come back with something, I guess I might have controlC-ed out. I notice that cmd /c dir from the "/" gives me what I would expect, but cmd /c dir \cygdrive doesn't show me the c and f drive, so I just got confused as I wasn't looking the right way. As in your paragraph about "still missing the point"

I agree that I'm looking at it the wrong way given moving legacy Windows code under Borland over to Cygwin. And this thread is proving to be a good way to learn just how wrong it is. That being said, I probably wouldn't "get it" without going through the exercise ... failure is a great and humbling teacher.

Once again, thanks to you and Brian for the help,
Paul