RE: rsync immediately hangs when connecting via ssh (still trying to fix, revisited from Aug 07)

Joel Harrison wrote on 28 May 2008 18:05:

> My ISP (site5) doesn't seem to be running the RSYNC daemon. Can I use
> a local rsync daemon to connect to a remote host that is NOT running
> the daemon? I can't seem to make it work.

  No, of course not.  Daemons don't make outgoing connections on the whole
(they tend to be servers rather than clients), and even if they did, there's
simply nothing for it to connect /to/ at the ISP end.  Consider an
equivalent question, generated from your own by text substitution:

> My ISP (site5) doesn't seem to be running A WEB SERVER. Can I use
> a local WEB SERVER to connect to a remote host that is NOT running
> A WEB SERVER? I can't seem to make it work.

  Does that make it any clearer?

    cheers,
      DaveK