Re: Patch to allow Cron to use non-POSIX shells like Powershell.exe and CMD.exe

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 12:47:42PM -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Blair Sutton wrote:
>> Eric Blake <ebb9@byu.net> writes:
>>>Why should we patch a cygwin utility to promote the use of a non-cygwin
>>>shell?
>
>None of the shells are 'cygwin', really, -- they are shells that took
>their ideas from close-source Bell-Labs research.  But before they
>became open source, Bell labs allowed students to use it for free --
>and it became popular -- eventually clones were developed and even
>later eventually, most of the bell labs sources were opened up.

I think everyone here is aware of the fact that the majority of the
packages in Cygwin were not designed for Cygwin but they were all
designed for a UNIX platform.  And that is the goal of the project.
Supporting Windows utilities is secondary.  Cygwin endeavors to present
an environment where shells understand "-c" rather than "/c".

So, while there's no reason to just automatically reject a patch
which changes that behavior, there is certainly reason to be
skeptical about patch which introduced non-UNIX behavior since
it obviously goes against the whole reason for the project.

cgf