Re: 1.7 constantly accesses floppy drive

On Jul 14 13:16, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Lee Maschmeyer wrote:
>>> OK, so perhaps your problem and the Windows path shown by 'cygcheck' are
>>> two
>>> different issues.
>> My problem is _precisely_ the Windows path shown by cygcheck. Everything
>> _except_ Cygwin (as shown by cygcheck) is correct as far as I can see.
>
> Actually, you showed me the path that 'bash' has and it contains no
> reference to the 'a' drive in any form.  Since you run from a shell,
> this is the path that's important.  It may be coincidence or it may
> be one externalization of the bug you're seeing but the Windows path
> shown by 'cygcheck' has no bearing on the path that the shell sees.
> Said another way, if 'cygcheck' has a bug that ends up showing you a
> faulty path here, that would have no effect on anything else Cygwin.
> So what we've covered so far doesn't provide a clear reason for the
> behavior you're seeing.
>
>>> I'm back to not being sure why you're seeing accesses on
>>> your floppy drive.  Maybe if you straced a simple operation, you might be
>>> able to tell us who, what, when, why, and/or how the floppy drive gets
>>> accessed.
>> Attached is the output of the command:
>> strace -o strace_ls.log ls 1.7-log.txt
>> I don't think it tells us anything we didn't know. Cygwin, down under the
>> hood, thinks Windows is on a: but all its variables show that it's on c:,
>> as do Windows variables.
>
> To me this suggests that there could be a problem with getwinenv() but
> I can't say more than that at the moment.

It's not in getwinenv afaics, but I don't know what the actual problem
is so far.  It has something to do with the existance of the /a, /c etc
mounts, though.  For now, removing the /a mount from /etc/fstab will help
to get back to speed.  I'll try to figure out the cause of this problem.

Corinna

Red Hat