OpenSSH installation under X64 Vista - can't log in

Maybe I should note that the Windows hosts file referred to the localhost as "::1", a format I am not familiar with (maybe something related to IPv6?).  The results below were obtained after I commented that line out and replaced it with:
127.0.0.1   localhost

I am playing with two computers running XP and Vista respectively.  I also added lines to hosts for their static local IPs.

It looks like this is a situation where most cases of logging in with ssh succeed, but one does not.

Using openSSH from cygwin as both client and server I can login:
- from XP    to Vista
- from XP    to XP using the local IP address of XP
- from XP    to XP using ssh localhost
- from Vista to XP
- from Vista to Vista using the local IP address of Vista

I can't login:
- from Vista to Vista using ssh localhost (see previous post)

This is probably enough to get Unison to work, although I always worry that something that is not configured correctly will come back to bite me.

JB