Re: Frustrations with Cygwin and Autotools

Chris Blanco wrote:

> I am setting up an automated build system for my company. In building some
> of our base libraries on Windows I am running into major issues. I am using
> the Visual Studio tools (cl.exe) to do the compilation which is working
> fine. I run into problems though when trying to generate a library that
> links together several sub libraries. I have tried to do this several ways,
> first using AR set to the default ar.exe and with AR set to lib.exe.

I think your question would be better for the libtool list.  But using
the MS toolchain directly with libtool is not supported, so I'm not
surprised it doesn't work.  There are several workarounds, one of which
is a set of wrapper scripts for the MS tools so that they take the same
options as the GNU linker etc.  Another is a large set of patches for
libtool itself to give it direct knowledge of the MS tools.  All of
these workarounds have been discussed on the libtool list and I'm sure
you can find details in the archives.  But these are for MinGW-hosted
libtool.  You're introducing yet another wrinkle in this problem by
using Cygwin because as you saw MS tools don't know what POSIX paths
are, so this is yet another problem you're going to have to solve.  In
general there is little sympathy in Cygwin land for trying to mix
non-Cygwin win32 apps into a build system, as that's more of a MinGW or
MSYS suited task.  Cygwin tools don't do path translation unless you
code it explicitly with cygpath, they assume the tools being invoked
take POSIX paths.

Brian