Re: Multithreaded accept/connect hang (WSAEINPROGRESS)

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 02:49:02PM -0400, Labarre, Jean (GE Healthcare) wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>I am working on a project making use of the cygwin X server (Xwin). One
>requirement we have is to avoid any potential security issue so I was
>trying to modify the Xwin window manager and clipboard code so that it
>would work with the "-nolisten tcp" option (currently, both window
>manager and clipboard run in threads and talk to the X display through a
>tcp/ip socket). The problem is, these modiifcations lead to hangs about
>30 to 40% of the time.
>
>Using strace, I found out that the hangs coincide with a WSAEINPROGRESS
>error status being returned by connect. It's the same issue that is
>described here:
>http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2007-06/msg00669.html. When I use a
>recent cygwin1.dll snapshot as suggested in this post, the locks do not
>happen. Unfortunately, we are not willing to use a snapshot in our
>product release.

"product release"?  That sounds like you are planning on becoming a 3PP
if you are using cygwin binaries in your release.

Maybe the solution would be to use the Xming server rather than the
Cygwin version.  The Xming server is reputed to work well and its
licensing will not result in us potentially taunting you for releasing a
your own copy of cygwin1.dll with your product and will not require us
asking you embarrassing questions like whether you understand how the
GPL works and what that means for any software you're building using
Cygwin.

>1- Do you have an idea of when the 1.7 cygwin release (with this fix
>included) will come out? I've read some mentions of "some time this
>year" in other posts, but I'd like to get a more definite date if at all
>possible...

We have no set date but we are working steadily towards a release.

I can't answer question 2.

cgf