Re: Download Cygwin once and intall it several times

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 06:30:28PM -0400, Ralph Hempel wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>Using setup.exe for this task makes me think that people believe
>>setup.exe is doing something mysterious.  It really isn't.  Even if you
>>wanted to go to the effort of unpacking tar.bz2 files you could still
>>do it all with bash, tar, and mount, avoiding setup.exe entirely.
>
>Except that setup.exe is "bootstrapping" the install all by itself and
>managing package dependencies.

You don't have to do that if you have a standard implementation that you
just want to clone.  You don't have to worry about package dependencies.
They are all intrinsicly in c:\cygwin.

If you do want to install from a pre-generated list of package tar files
then you presumably don't have to worry about dependencies either since
the list of packages in the download area would be the list of packages
that need to be installed.

cgf