Re: opendir/readdir failure on non-Samba Unix-hosted remote volumess

On Tue, July 29, 2008 16:16, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Here's one additional test I'd like to ask you to do for the sake of
> Cygwin 1.7.  Please replace the FileBothDirectoryInformation with
> FileDirectoryInformation and strace it again.  You'll suffer the crash,
> but until then, does the NtQueryDirectoryFile return successfully?

Set up like this, `ls' seems to be able to read directories (readdir
returns 0) but seems to have some sort of character-set disagreement with
the far end, with the result that the `strace' output becomes incredibly
messy when the `lstat' calls fail on files whose names appear to consist
of the right number of `?' for their length.  At the end of the directory,
I see

   57  108833 [main] ls 4200 fhandler_disk_file::readdir:
NtQueryDirectoryFile failed, status 0x80000006, win32 error 18
   49  108882 [main] ls 4200 geterrno_from_win_error: windows error 18 ==
errno 89

which looks reasonable (ENMFILE, `No more files', is it?) to me.

I don't see anything from `NtQueryDirectoryFile' until the report above.

So, the upshot appears to be that `FileIDBothDirectoryInformation' doesn't
work at all, `FileBothDirectoryInformation' works, and
`FileDirectoryInformation' is somewhere in between, but not in a useful
way.  Is that what you wanted to discover, or did I miss the point?

In user-operations terms, I now seem to have a situation I can deal with,
in that I have a latest-release version of `cygwin1.dll' that local users
can work with, and for the moment at least I have the means to tweak and
build any subsequent releases.  If at some point what's been discovered
could make it into the real release, I would be most grateful.
--
SAm.

--
Academic Excellence at the Heart of Scotland.
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland,