Each OS was a clean install with a clean install of cygwin.  All installs were performed in VM's running under Xen 3.2.1 on the first physical machine, an AMD based box, and on this machine the cygwin bash builtin test works under each OS.

I then rsync'd the images to three other machines, each running identical versions of Xen, each with different Xeon based processors.  On these boxes, the bash builtin test fails on the 64-bit OS's, and works on the 32-bit OS's.  To verify, on one of the Xeon boxes, I installed both 64-bit OS's from scratch, in VM's, and then cygwin.  The cygwin postinstall scripts failed because of the broken bash builtin test.

The CPU's are:

#1	Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2216 HE
#2	Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5320 @ 1.86GHz
#3	Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5355 @ 2.66GHz
#4	Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5130 @ 2.00GHz

Windows 2008 x64 pops up an error message when bash crashes, the contents of which is included in the two attached images (I could not copy and paste in the vnc client).

The problem is dependent on the 64-bit OS / hardware combination (and may relate to the way Xen virtualizes the hardware for HVM guests).  I have no physical access to the machines and am unable to install Windows directly (not under Xen).

That's it.