Re: cygserver 1.5.25-15 slows down logoff

>>> I am running cygserver service on Windows 2003 x64 SP2 on dual-core. If
>>> the service is running, there is a significant delay during log
>>> off/shutdown (approx. 1-2 minutes). If cygserver service is stopped, the
>>> logoff takes just 1-2 seconds.
>>>
>>> I have no other Cygwin services installed, and no Cygwin process started
>>> as the logged-on user.
>> Here are some more facts about cygserver hanging during logoff:
>
> Does that problem appear at logoff or at shutdown. or both?  Is
> cygserver in use by applications in that scenario?  There's a chance
> that cygserver has worker threads running which are waiting for
> interaction with a calling application.

It appears when local user logs off and when you shutdown/restart the
system. It does NOT appear when remote desktop user logs off, however.

I do not think that cygserver has any active worker threads. You can
start it afresh, and with no other cygwin processes running, it still hangs.

On a side note: manually stopping cygserver is fast, it does not appear
to trigger the problem.

> >> - the problem is specific to Windows 2003 64-bit, it does not appear in
>> Windows XP 32-bit
>
> There's no special code in Cygwin which would handle logoff/shutdown
> scenarios differently on x86 vs. x64 systems, though...

I thought so. A few timestamped debug messages would probably be enough
to pinpoint the code in which cygserver is spending time...

The problem also appears in sshd service, eventhough it does not depend
on cygserver. I installed sshd using ssh-host-config and manually
stopped cygserver. And even with only sshd running, there was still a
long delay at logoff/shutdown!