Circular dependency problem

I'm trying to build a C++ project involving around 20 branches, the majority
of whose targets are shared library objects (DLLs).  Two of the branches
seem to have circular dependencies (in other words, each one relies on
functions contained in the other one).  If I was programming in Microsoft
VC++ I'd normally resolve this by exporting the relevant functions.
Exporting them (I believe) tells the linker that any unresolved function
addresses will be resolved at run time (hence, dynamic linking).

I don't know how the equivalent technology works in gcc but whatever it
involves, the project compiles and links fine on my Linux box.  However,
I can't make it build with Cygwin.  Both branches compile successfully but
neither will link because the other one hasn't been built yet.

Is there anywhere where I can find some information about how to make
this work?  I could probably make a cut-down version if anyone wants to see
the problem for themselves.

Thanks,

John