Re: Apologies for multiple messages (Please Help!)

On 28 Oct 2008 10:38:21 EDT, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>Please correct me if I am wrong, but this type of thing has happened to
> >>the list before, right?  I seem to remember it happening to someone
> >>else a while back, but I cannot find it in the archives at the moment.
> >
> >Sure.  Not allot but it has happened before.  I think Chris usually
> >puts a block on things like this to stop it, if nothing else is
> >possible.
>
> I do but I was on vacation (in Italy!) last week.  Someone eventually
> notified the overseers mailing list about this.  Someone there *should*
> have been able to block the messsages from arriving.  I don't know if
> that is what happened or if things were fixed on the sending end but
> sending email to either postmaster or overseers will contact the right
> people.

Neither postmaster nor overseers ever responded, AFAIK.

I think the sending end eventually gave up.  I got the bounce message
included at the end of this message, after which the duplicated messages
stopped.  I'm still not sure what was happening under the hood (on either
side) though.

One thing we suspect is that the lack of a Message-ID field in the header
reduces the ability of the receiving side to automatically stop posting
these duplicated messages to the list.

As such, making the Message-ID field a requirement for posting to the
cygwin mailing lists might not be a bad idea.

FYI, over the last month, the only message that came in without the
Message-ID field (besides my own) was spam.

Herb.