Re: Execute permission not set when creating files

John Cooper wrote:
I've just upgraded to the latest version of Cygwin (1.5.25-15) and found
that the execute bit is not getting set when I create files:

$ umask 'u=rwx,g=r,o=r'
$ touch a
$ ls -l a
-rw-r--r-- 1 John None 0 Oct 28 21:42 a

(the execute permission also doesn't get set when I use the default umask
0022).

I don't think I've met a POSIX-like system yet that automatically creates things with any +x bits set. From a security perspective, this makes sense; the user must request something be executable before it can be executed. (Some things, e.g. gcc, will add the +x when it makes sense.)

Windows is unique (or at least unusual) in making things like "My Wish List.doc" and "Pamela Xmas.jpg" executable.

--
Matthew
ESNR: signal to noise ratio too low (try a mailer without disclaimers)