Re: Cygwin not installing

Corrin Meyer wrote:
I updated by Cygwin install today and when I launched the cygwin bash
shell I got the following message...

Huh? No /etc/fstab file in \??\C:\cygwin\etc\fstab.d\CorrinMeyer?

<snip>

In fact the entire directory /usr/bin does not exist. Instead, it
seems all the files that were suppose to be installed to /usr/bin/
where installed to /bin. Even the cygwin1.dll, if memory serves, is
usually installed in /usr/bin but I found it in /bin instead.

'/usr/bin' and '/usr/lib' are just mounts to '/bin' and '/lib'. Always have been. There's nothing new here. You're suffering from a missing '/etc/fstab' with 1.7.

Opening
the properties of the cygwin1.dll from the Windows File Explorer
indicates a version number of 1007.0.0.0 and a file version 1.7.0.

Running 'cygcheck -c' from the Cygwin bash shell lists many packages
with a status of 'Incomplete' including the 'cygwin' package which is
listed as version 1.7.0-31.

I know that Cygwin 1.7 was released accidentally some time ago to the
mirrors but was then reverted.  The Cygwin front page indicates that
1.5.25-15 is the latest release.  Has 1.7 actually been released or is
something else going on?

No, it hasn't been released. But it is showing up under the 'release' tree on cygwin.com. So you'll have to rerun 'setup.exe' and select the 1.5.25-15 version to get yourself righted. Chris will need to set this straight on cygwin.com.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746