Re: Finally managed to create a jailed SFTP server, but how secure?

TheO wrote:
Larry Hall wrote:
No, you cannot hide it.  It is created by Cygwin itself as a convenience
to access the virtual 'cygdrive' directory.  This is one of a number of
virtual directories ('/proc' and '/dev' come to mind) that Cygwin supports.
See the description of "Special filenames" in the User's Guide for more
details.

I understand why all these virtual directories are necessary at the absolute
'/' root level. But here I refer to /cygdrive which is created inside the jail
directory, which means in absolute path, /jail/cygdrive (/jail being the root of my jail). Inside the jail, only /cygdrive is created, no other virtual directories (/proc or /dev/xxx) or files are created.

Created or not, they exist. Try it.

In 1.7, there is a
new authentication module that will solve these and other pubkey
authentication problems.  But 1.7 is not currently released and it's
release date is not decided.

Thanks for this input. I suppose that to be on safe side, I must restrict it to password based authentication only if I use the current Cygwin.

This removes the impersonation piece of the puzzle, yes.

And finally one more question. I am only aware of two subsystems supported
by sshd more or less implicitely; sftp and shell (interactive logon). Is there
any other subsystems which are handled by sshd implicitely (without me having
to add anything to /etc/sshd_config)?

Can't answer that.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746