Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Public Cygwin 1.7 test starts today

At the end of this mail you will find a more or less complete list of
changes from 1.5.x to 1.7.x.

I think you forgot to mention the change to st_nlink [1], which will affect some applications. For example, the kpathsea search library for texlive needs to be patched to accommodate the change. (I've sent the patch to the tlbuild list in case anyone is interested.) This might also apply to cygwin's tetex package, but I haven't tested it.

One other thing I've noticed, which I think is unrelated, is that there is a glitch in directory listing in emacs under cygwin 1.7: If you try to list a directory with control-x d, very often the directory listing makes it look like the directory is empty when it isn't. Typing "g" (to ask emacs to redisplay the directory) usually results in a correct listing. I initially thought this might also be related to st_nlink, but I think emacs simply calls "ls -al" to do the listing, so there's probably no connection. I'm wondering if it might be related to whatever changes were made to cygwin so that directory listings are faster (as reported in [2]).

This glitch occurs in emacs 22.3, which I built myself. I haven't tested it in the official cygwin release of emacs (which I don't have installed), since my build works fine in cygwin 1.5.

Ken

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2008-04/msg00110.html
[2] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-12/msg00246.html