Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Public Cygwin 1.7 test starts today

On Dec 11 13:14, Ken Brown wrote:

I think you forgot to mention the change to st_nlink [1], which will affect some applications. For example, the kpathsea search library for texlive needs to be patched to accommodate the change. (I've sent the patch to the tlbuild list in case anyone is interested.) This might also apply to cygwin's tetex package, but I haven't tested it.

Yes, that's right. I forgot about that. I didn't know that more than just findutils and coreutils are affected. In theory, every tool should be able to deal with st_nlink == 1. It's not the right value for an emtpy dir, which would be 2, so any tool should check what's actually going on in that dir.

In the case of kpathsea, the program was deliberately relying on st_nlink to speed up searching on systems that it viewed as "unix-like", including cygwin. [It didn't check for subdirectories unless st_nlink > 2.] Fortunately, this was documented, and it was easy to make a configuration change to tell it to exclude cygwin for this purpose. I don't know how likely it is that other applications will similarly cut corners.

Ken