Update to Windows 2003 64-bit via setup.exe fails

Running Cygwin on a Dell Server PE2950/Intel Xeon/1.60GHz, 16G RAM
running Windows 2003

Cygwin has been running on this machine since May without major
problems (other than that I could not get 'cron' to work, but I put
that effort on the back burner several months ago).

I tried to update Cygwin to the latest configuration yesterday, but
setup.exe exited during post-installation with this message in the
Event log:

    Faulting application setup.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module
setup.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x000f42cb.

When I tried to start a bash shell, I got the following:

    bash: id: command not found
    bash: /usr/bin/tr: No such file or directory
    bash: /bin/echo: No such file or directory
    bash: /bin/echo: No such file or directory
    bash: uname: command not found
    bash: id: command not found
    The syntax of the command is incorrect.
    $

I cannot view file ownership or permissions because 'ls' is not in
/usr/bin or /bin

I ran setup.exe several other times after the initial failure in an
attempt to revert to an earlier configuration, without success.

cygcheck.out is attached; an excerpt of the recent portions of
/var/log/setup.log is attached as '20081215_setup_log.txt

My check of the mailing list didn't turn up a similar problem, so I am
posting this problem looking for recommendations.

Thanks.

Bob Oelschlaeger
Aclara Power-Line Systems