Re: Installing cygwin failing - some Windows errors

Quoting "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com>:

On 01/05/2009, Phil Reynolds wrote:
I find that I can start cygwin bash but if I try to ls (for example), it fails. Nothing happens, and then bash closes.

I want cygwin mainly for X but I need to solve this first, of course.

So you're saying that you're starting bash from an xterm or similar X proggie? If so, is this not just an instance of this?

<http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-i-cant-type-anything>

Er... no.

I am not starting it from X - just from the Cygwin icon.

I can type ls - it appears at the prompt - but there is no output, no returned prompt,
nothing then happens for a while and then the Cygwin bash window closes.

The bit you quoted is just the result of the bit you didn't.