Re: First Pass at mintty documentation; etc.

Lee D. Rothstein wrote:

 > "\e[1;5A": history-search-backward
 > "\e[1;5B": history-search-forward

Perhaps I don't understand this 'bash' feature, but it doesn't
seem to work for me.

Start typing a command, press Ctrl-Up, and it finds the previous line in the history that started like that.

I do lots of bash scripting including Windows/DOS commands, and I
can think of only one character cell app that ever gave me any
trouble from rxvt or xterm (whatever that app is -- I think a
Resource Kit app), I found a work-around and never needed it
again.

'net' is a troublesome command that's been mentioned, although it seems to be ok for basic stuff. But I guess there might be still be a few DOS fullscreen apps around. Turbo Pascal perhaps? But yeah, I'd sooner implement tabs than worry about DOS apps. ;)

Isn't ANSI implementation required of virtual terminals? I know
that later DEC VTs, and HP terminals (bless their expensive
little scroll-back buffer hearts) had an "ANSI" mode.

To be honest, I didn't really know what I was talking about there. Wouldn't surprise me though if MS had done their usual embrace&extend trick on the ANSI stuff.

 > I didn't know xterm actually had a UI for this. Do people find
 > this useful?

I've used it on occasion when I needed to scroll back through two
debugging runs of a text-mode (character cell) app (or debugging
statements).

So your debug print macro or whatever would be switching screens?

What would be better for this and other problems, however, is a
feature that I would love: The ability to interactively, on the
fly change, the Title Bar/Task Bar Title to be clear on what each
Window is doing.

Can you explain the "interactive" bit a bit more. Do you mean clicking on the window title and start typing away at it?

Andy