Re: RFD: cygwin + *native* MinGW compiler

Charles Wilson wrote:

> Pursuant to a discussion on the libtool list, I'm trying to get a feel
> for how many cygwin users rely on the cygwin environment to drive the
> *native* MinGW gcc compiler.  That is, incantations like this:

[snip]

> I hope this is considered on-topic here, because I'm interested in the
> uses of the cygwin environment itself.  I don't want reports of why it
> doesn't work, or how hard it is to get one of the incantations above to
> work.  I just want to get an idea of how many people are currently,
> actually, successfully, doing something like 1a) or 1b) above.

None of then above... MOST of the time I use a true self-compiled cross
compiler that resides in /mingw and use the cygwin environment [1].

I only use a native MinGW and cygwin when dealing with more exotic build
systems like bjam for boost or things that were desined for the
mingw32-make.

Kai

[1] ...well aside from uname. When using my cross compiler I start a script
that resets some enviroment variables and switches to a self-written uname
that claims a MSYS/MinGW Enviroment. That way I can run something like that

 --build=i686-pc-mingw32 --host=i686-pc-mingw32

under cygwin without the hiccups of true cross-compiling (running
executables when a configure does tests).

That way I can use a patched cygport that resides in /mingw/bin, the cygwin
setup.exe and get a nice sum of packages.. enough to compile gtk, xchat,
gimp, mplayer and some others.

Its a rather strange enviroment I admit... and thew new libtool 2.0 won't
work too. It did start a windows-command shell when linking that did nothing
but idling in my process list.

I did use MSYS for quite some time, but the cygwin enviroment is better
maintained for my needs.

--
<Unseen2> Warum hat eigentlich noch niemand Electrocution-via-IP implementiert?
<Onkel_Kai> ECP -> electric-chair-protocol